You might have noticed a lot of emails from Canadian companies recently, asking you to confirm that you wish to receive emails from them. This is because a key part of the 2010 anti-spam law comes into effect tomorrow. We haven't sent you anything, becase we have always complied with the spirit of the law.
We all know what spam is, and the Canadian government's definition is plain:
commercial electronic messages [received] without the recipient's consent
And here's a definition of bacn (pronounced 'bacon') from author Jonathon Keats:
Spam by personal request
This seems to contradict the first definition, but the idea is that bacn is better than spam, but still not as good as a personal email. It's commercial email that you asked for. (Aside: according to that same author, bacn from geologists is quakn.)
Email from Agile*
Because we want you to have as much control over your inbox as possible, I have just switched our email subscription service from Feedburner to MailChimp. One of the reasons is MailChimp's excellent and rigorous anti-spam policy enforcement. Their emails make it very clear who an email is from, and how to unsubscribe from them.
If you receive our blog updates via email, I hope you see them as a service and not a nuisance. If you're unsure about subscribing because you fear receiving promotions and so on — I promise that all you will ever get is our blog posts. It's just a convenient way to read the blog for some people.
Just to be clear:
- We will never add you to a mailing list that you didn't expressly subscribe to.
- We will always give you an easy way to unsubcribe.
- We will never share your email address or name with anyone else.
- We will only send you emails that have an obvious Unsubscribe option.
Other ways to read
Here are some other options for subscribing to our RSS feed, which you will find at http://www.agilegeoscience.com/journal/rss.xml
- Subscribe in MS Outlook — here's how
- Subscribe in MS Internet Explorer — here's how
- The Old Reader, Feedreader or Feedly are great online readers
- Add us to Newsify or some other reader app
- Just come back here from time to time!
We want you to be able to easily find, read, interact with, and share our content. If there is some other way we can serve you, please let us know.
The can of spam image is by Flickr's Clyde Robinson and licensed CC-BY.